Hi, I’m Tara.

What started out as a private blog to document our adoption journey has evolved into my journey through therapy, spiritual awakening and whatever I feel like writing. Without our struggles to build a family, I’m not sure I’d be waking up, and for that I’m grateful.

#MicroblogMondays - Oh, It's Working

I wonder how far I’ve come since last year, and this past week has shown me. Last week I traveled for work, got home at 4pm on Friday, spent the weekend with my family and got on another plane at 7am this morning for more travel. Now, I don’t normally travel like this, back to back, it just ended up this way. So anyway, April will practically be over and done with by the time I settle down into my routine again (whatever that is, I’m still working on it).

Things happened that last year would have definitely resulted in a jacked up neck and/or meltdown. I was completely wiped out by travel and barely functioned on Saturday, so much so that I totally forgot about clothes I had at the dry cleaners to pick up. Not just any clothes, mind you, but the foundation of my outfits for the conference. Dammit. I let that one go since there was no way to get them once I realized my mistake.

This morning, being pretty proud of myself for getting myself to the airport by 5:45am (ugh), and having a relatively smooth flight out, I turned on my phone to check in to the hotel. My reservation had been cancelled because I had forgotten to change the number of nights I was staying and they had expected me Sunday. I took a breath, thinking I might be screwed, and called the front desk. Eventually, after finding the right person to talk to there was a plan of talking to the manager when I showed up to see if I could get my reservation back.

After the cab ride to my co-workers hotel a couple blocks away, I walked to my hotel, went to check in…and couldn’t find my work phone. (Remember, I work for the gov’t. This isn’t a big deal, it’s a HUGE DEAL). Panic bubbling up inside me as I looked for the front desk wondering how the hell I left my phone in the cab, I stayed kind-of-sort-of calm and things happened. First, I got my reservation back (whew) and didn’t have to look for a hotel. Second, I attended the committee chair lunch, shared my cell phone story and laughed that it figures…Third, I ran into my boss after the lunch and he joked I owe him a beer. They had noticed my cell phone on the back seat of the cab and my other coworker had it with her.

I didn’t melt down. The sky didn’t fall. I didn’t shame spiral.

All’s well that ends well.

Don’t know what #MicroblogMondays is? Check it out  here .

Don’t know what #MicroblogMondays is? Check it out here.

A Thing I Did Not See Coming

How Important is an Adoptee-Therapist?